Friday, September 5, 2008

September 3, 2008 - Anita alone in Cairo

Anita took an early call from our tour company, again changing our schedule. We expected to be picked up around noon to see the museum and bazaar. They were waiting downstairs insisting we were called last evening and agreed to the changes. Anita did take a call last evening but with the language and accent difficulties, she thought she was speaking with the doctor about his pending visit to examine my leg injury from my fall yesterday.

So she quickly showered and go ready while I hobbled around putting a food pack together for her since she would be unable to have any breakfast. She has been diabetic longer than me, so it's most important for her to have food. Yesterday we both went without lunch - we saw no where to purchase even a snack.

With me unable to move without pain last evening, she went looking for dinner after we got to the room and I got my leg propped up on the bed and ice below my knee where much of the pain seemed concentrated. Anita returned with soup, sandwiches, chips and an assortment of traditional Ramadan sweets for dessert. The Bakery in the hotel was still open. We ate on our balcony and watched the lights come on in the large garden below us and all over Cairo to the east and Giza to the west. The Hotel sits on a large island in the middle of the Nile which runs between us and Cairo. We can't see the other part of the Nile nearer Giza as there are tall buildings on that side of the island.

Anita will visit the museum and bazaar, probably will be home around lunch. We will be picked up around 6 pm for the evening light show at the pyramids. I am determined to make this event. My leg feels better this morning. I have had a hot shower, my meds and am now experiencing the burning heat of the cream the doctor prescribed. It's like BenGay - only doubled or tripled in strength. I also have pain tablets, muscle relaxant and an ace bandage if I want to try it. The doctor said these bandages on thighs seem not to stay in place, but was willing to send one to our room with the rest of the prescriptions.

The doctor was very kind and thorough. He apologized for making me wait. During Ramadan, all activity of the Muslims comes to a halt during the time just before sunset and after sunset the day-long fast is broken with a feast. The fast begins just after a small snack of dates just before sun-up. Only water is taken during the day. He left me with a list of the prescriptions and a letter for my health insurance company at home to request reimbursement. I don't think this will be covered, but it may work with the travel insurance/health insurance we bought for the trip.

Anita was wonderful as she took charge of my health situation. She is a wonderful friend, and I was grateful to have her with me.

I will rest - take hot showers and ensure my leg has time for some intensive healing today before we leave for Cyprus tomorrow afternoon. No photos from my camera today. I'll take it with me tonight to get some night photos at the pyramids then.

Anita just left for the light show. Apparently one of the possible side affects of both internal medicines is diarrhea - and guess what -- I'm susceptible. Oh, poop!, as Anita said.

So she will take our photos as I take immodium and Cipro - in case it's 'La Tourista'. We have a plane ride of 2 hours tomorrow and I'd like this to be well under control.

I said that the number one reason to be in Cairo was to see the pyramids - accomplished and checked off my life list! She agreed and said now she knows she will probably not travel alone because today has not been as much fun without me sharing her experiences.

It's almost dark in Cairo now - just 6:30 pm. Horns are honking close and Anita is in the lobby waiting for her driver and guide.

No comments: