Friday, September 5, 2008

September 4, 2008 - on to Cyprus

We are showered and have finished our Ramadan breakfast of the sweets Anita purchased yesterday afternoon. We had expected to eat our leftovers from lunch when she returned from the evening light show. Once again we misunderstood the information we were given.

Anita waited in the lobby last evening from 6:30 (the time we were to have been picked up) until 7:30 when Amad finally arrived. The traffic to Giza was heavy as the Ramadan fast ended at sundown. She arrived at the show location and the group found seats where they would have a good view of the light show, which did not start until 8:30 and lasted 45-50 minutes. Traffic was heavier coming back so she did not return until around 10:30. I was already asleep and did not hear her come in.

I awoke around 7:30 this morning - Anita had been up since 6. She is on the balcony writing in her journal. We don't know when we will have access to computers again - maybe in Cyprus.

The show was told by the Sphinx who related stories about the development of ancient Egypt, the Nile, the rulers and the building of the pyramids. The wall of the funnerial building next to the Sphinx was used as a screen for hieroglyphics and moving lights to represent the Nile. Lights on the pyramids changed colors as the stories changes. She told me the sound was very loud and I probably would have needed ear plugs to protect my limited hearing. It's a bitch getting old!

I'm sorry I missed her adventures yesterday, but the main reason, as I stated yesterday, to be in Cairo was to see the pyramids and I did see them, was awed by them, and will remember the experience. Everything else we had planned was important - however I have seen Egyptian antiquities in a couple of tours that came to the US. I've been to bazaars in foreign countries - Germany and Mexico come to mind, and I am not sorry I remained in the hotel to rest yesterday.

My ankle is no longer swollen, the bruising behind my knee is almost gone according to Anita, and I am walking with only occational pain. I am ready for Liz and Cyprus!

Here are a few photos of Cairo taken on our way to the airport...

No comments: